Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Only the Irish are allowed to tell these jokes!



Irish
Bagpiper

As a young bagpiper, I was asked by a
funeral director to play at a grave-side service for a homeless
man, with no family or friends.

The funeral was to be held at a
cemetery way back in the country, and this man would be the first to be
laid to rest there.

As I was not familiar with the
backwoods area, I became lost; and being a typical man did not stop for
directions. I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the backhoe and
the crew, who were eating lunch, but the hearse was nowhere in
sight.

I apologized to the workers for my tardiness, and stepped
to the side of the open grave, where I saw the vault lid already in
place.




I
assured the workers I would not hold them up for long, but this was
the proper thing to do. The workers gathered around, still eating
their lunch. I played out my heart and soul.

As I
played the workers began to weep. I played, and I played, like
I'd never played before: From My Home and The Lord is my Shepherd
to Flowers of the
Forest


I closed the lengthy session with Amazing Grace and walked to
my car.

As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I
overheard one of the workers saying to another, "I never
seen nothin' like that before--and I've been putting in
septic tanks for twenty years."




3 comments:

  1. LOL -- thanks for the laugh, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my very best friends is (by blood) half Irish and half Moroccan, but she grew up in Scotland. She sent be a bunch of Irish jokes the other day. I'll have to share this one with her.

    ReplyDelete